Tuesday, February 7, 2012

nowhere and bilambil.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

i spent my sunday visiting my aunties jungle-bungalow in bilambil with family. I can only begin to describe how nostalgic and special this place is, not only for me but for any one of our family members who has grown up here. Wall to wall, ceiling to floor; covered in collectables and art alike from africa and all over the world. Baskets hang from the ceiling, holding breads, jams and produce from her gardens. Smells constantly ooze from her oven of fresh baked treats, warm soup and sauces simmer on the stove and the water that runs from the tap is as icy clean as it comes. Some may call her a hoarder, but everything has its place and the energy that is created here is like no other. we joked that day that she'd be the lone survivor if the world came to an end, and she would probably survive purely off her basic surroundings too. I love coming up here, no reception, no hassle; just constant cups of tea and good conversation about family and world politics. I hope I was able to capture at least a little taste of just how cultural this 8 by 8m home is and if nothing else i hope my family members can look at it and know that while everything in the world is moving at lightning speed, there is always here, a home that seems to instantly slow it all down and remind you to see life simply.

No comments:

Post a Comment